Skip to main content

Fees and finance options

Course fees for postgraduate degrees can be a significant hurdle when considering further study. Apart from the reward of potential increased future earnings through your additional qualification – there is financial assistance available.


Fees for coursework courses are payable in advance each semester and are charged on a unit by unit basis. Please note, fees may vary unit by unit. For specific unit fee details, visit the Curtin fee website.

Fees for higher degree by research

The fee structures vary between postgraduate coursework and research courses. Prospective research course students are advised to contact the Higher Degree by Research for fee information.

Financial support for Australian Residents

The financial implications of postgraduate study may seem overwhelming but there are ways to minimise the impact.


Australian citizens and holders of permanent humanitarian visas undertaking postgraduate study have the option of applying for FEE-HELP. This scheme offers all eligible students an income contingent loan facility to pay their postgraduate fees in courses at Curtin.

Austudy, Abstudy and Youth Allowance

The Federal Government operates Austudy and Abstudy schemes that provide living and other allowances to full-time students enrolled in approved courses. For more information, please visit Centrelink’s website.

Employer assistance

Have you approached your employer and discussed professional development? Many employers are offering study leave or assistance with course fees to encourage career development.

Tax benefits

Your enrolment in postgraduate study at Curtin may entitle you to an income tax deduction for tuition fees and related expenses. You may be able to claim for:

  • tuition fees
  • textbooks, stationery and photocopying costs
  • student association fees
  • depreciation of your computer (or the portion of its use relating to the course work)
  • interest incurred on an expenses loan
  • travel between home and the University or work and the University

Visit the Australian Taxation Office for more information or telephone: 13 28 61


A number of postgraduate scholarships are available, mainly for higher degrees by research.
Find out more at Curtin’s scholarships website.

Grants and Fellowships

Curtin’s Office of Research and Development is responsible for the submission of all research grant applications.

Find out more at the Curtin Research and Development site.