Professor Dudley Kingsnorth
B.Met (Hons), M.Sc
|Faculty||Office of the DVC Research & Development|
|Campus||Perth City Campus|
|Phone||+618 9266 2512|
Dudley Kingsnorth has over 40 years experience in the international mining industry through positions that he has held in operations, project development, marketing, technical consultancies and business development. In 1988 he was awarded the Confederation of Western Industry Individual Export for his contribution to the development of the lithium mineral market.
Dudley is recognised as a world authority on the rare earths market and rare earths project development through his 22 year association with the industry, initially as Project Manager of the Mt Weld Rare Earths Project and over the past 12 years as an independent consultant to the industry. He is the author/editor of the last four editions of the Roskill report on rare earths. Dudley has given many key note addresses to international rare earths conferences, including ‘The China Rare Earths Summit’ in Beijing in 2010, the EU/Australia Rare Earths Conference in The Hague in December 2010 and the 4th Baotou International Rare Earths Conference in China in August 2012. He has provided confidential advice on rare earths to a number government departments worldwide.
In 2012 Dudley was appointed a Professor at the Curtin Graduate School of Business (CGSB) at the Perth City Campus of Curtin University in Western Australia; with special responsibilities for establishing the Critical Materials Initiative.
Memberships, Awards and Training
Professor Kingsnorth has held a variety of appointments throughout his career.
- Vice-Chairman, Perth Branch AusIMM (1985-1998)
- Vice-President, AusIMM (1997-99)
- Non-Executive Director , Acclaim Uranium NL (1997-1999)
- Faculty of Engineering Advisory Board UWA (1996-99)
- Commonwealth of Australia Co-operative Research Centre Physical Sciences Selection Panel (1996-98)
- Neville Stanley Scholarship Selection Committee (1997 to 2002)
- Chairman, Industry Advisory Group, Special Research Centre for Advanced Mineral and Materials Processing of UWA (1996 to 2001)
- Vice-Chairman, Avon Industrial Park Advisory Board (1994 to 2009)
- Chairman, Olympia Resources NL (2000 to 2001)
- Member, Industrial Minerals Centre Australia Advisory Board (2000 to 2003)
- Honorary Lecturer in International Marketing of Industrial Minerals to WASM and to the Curtin M.Sc in Mineral Economics (2001-08)
- Founding CEO/Managing Director, Crescent Gold Limited (2002-2003)
- Writer of the 11th (2001), 12th (2004), 13th (2007) and Editor of 14th Edition (2011) of Roskill’s ‘The Economics of Rare Earths & Yttrium’. Editor of the 9th (2003) and 10th (2006) editions of Roskill’s ‘The Economics of Lithium’ & the 11th (2005) edition of Roskill’s ‘The Economics of Tantalum’.
- Founding Non-Executive Chairman, Essa Australia Ltd (2004-06)
- Founding Non-Executive Chairman, Amex Resources Limited (2007 to 2012)
- Non-Executive Director, Northern Minerals Ltd (2011 to 2012)
- Chairman, Western Australian Branch, Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining (2010 to present)
Professor Dudley has professional affiliations with the following organisations:
- Fellow, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Fellow, Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM)
- Fellow, Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (UK)
- Currently, Executive Director of the Industrial Minerals Company of Australia Pty Ltd, a private company that provides consultancy services in international marketing and project development to the mining industry, with particular reference to rare earths and lithium.
- Founding Chairman, Amex Resources Limited (2007-12), leading Amex (ASX:AXZ) in an IPO to raise $3 million for exploration of gold, and nickel tenements in Western Australia and a magnetite project in Fiji. Retired in March 2012; market capitalisation of Company rising from $5M to $75M during the term of office.
- Founding Chairman of Essa Australia Limited (2004-2006). Guided Essa in its transition from a private company to a successful listing on the ASX.
- Writer of three editions of Roskill’s Reports on Rare Earths (2001, 2004 & 2007). Editor of 2011 Roskill Report on Rare Earths. Editor of several of Roskill’s past Reports on Lithium and Tantalum.
- CEO/Managing Director of Crescent Gold Limited (2002-2003). Raised $5 million, internationally, to enable the company to be re-listed on the ASX.
- Manager - Market Development, Sons of Gwalia Ltd (2001-2002). Responsible for identifying, assessing and developing strategies for new business opportunities, with particular reference to lithium and tantalum.
- Project Manager (1999-2000) of the feasibility study of the Mt Weld Rare Earths Project for the Ashton / Lynas JV. Responsible for managing the study, including the technical programme, commercial negotiations, financial modelling, environmental management and government relations.
- CEO of the Materials Institute of Western Australia (1995-99) managed the development of a self-funding applied research organisation that serviced the advanced material and mineral processing sectors of the resources industry. Successfully established Australia’s first commercial wear testing laboratory.
- Project Manager (1990-1995) of the $10 million Mt Weld Rare Earths JV pre-feasibility study; developed a detailed project concept, including obtaining approval of an environmental management plan that received the full support of federal state and local governments, the EPA and local communities; secured ‘Letters of Intent’ for 70% of cerium output and managed development of an efficient and innovative secondary extraction process.
- Marketing Manager - Industrial Minerals (1985-90) Gwalia Consolidated. Responsible for a program that increased Gwalia’s share of world lithium market from 2% to 18%. Recipient of the 1988 CWAI Exporter of the Year Award.
- Project Engineer (1983-1985) for Reynolds Metals Company, Shell Australia, BHP, Kobe Steel JV. Managed the preparation of the Boddington Gold Mine Definitive Feasibility Study
Professor Dudley has specific commodity expertise/experience in the following areas:
- Rare Earths
- Critical Materials
- Project Management